These are an old favourite at the Kitchen Playground and frankly I’m surprised I haven’t blogged them before. They work equally well with chicken, pork or turkey mince.
Steamed Curry Cakes
500g chicken, pork or turkey mince
250ml coconut cream
1/3 cup red, green or yellow curry paste*
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 teaspoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon roughly chopped peanuts
1 bunch Thai basil
1/2 teaspoon cornflour
Sliced fresh chillies or sliced pickled chillies to garnish
Fresh coriander to garnish
*whichever you prefer/have on hand, they all work out well
300g rice to serve
- Combine mince, 200ml of the coconut cream, curry paste, egg, fish sauce, sugar and peanuts. Mix well.
- Lightly grease 4 1-cup capacity bowls. Divide Thai basil leaves between the bowls. Divide the mince mixture and place it on top of the basil.
- Put 1.5 litres of water in the thermomix bowl and rice in steamer basket. Arrange bowls in varoma and steam for 25 minutes on varoma temperature. After 16 minutes, you can rice and place in an insulated bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining coconut cream with cornflour in a small saucepan over low heat until it thickens slightly.
- To serve, drizzle coconut cream mixture over curry cakes and garnish with chillies and coriander. Serve with the steamed rice.