So often at chez KP, dinner is inpisred by the one or two ingredients that need to be used most urgently. Tonight, it was a slab of thick cut ump steak and 450g roma tomatoes that were getting a bit squashy. It was a cool day so oven baked goodness was appealing. The result was good. Not as good as fully fledged moussaka but for a quick substitute it was pretty jolly tasty.
Quick and easy pseudo moussaka
2 – 3 cloves garlic, peeled
10ml olive oil
500g piece rump steam, roughly chopped
450g roma tomatoes (or 1 440g can)
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
1 eggplant, sliced lengthways
extra olive oil
bechamel sauce (as per TM recipe or your standard stovetop recipe with a sprinkle cinnamon)
grated cheese to top
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Chop onion and garlic for 7 seconds on speed 6. Scrape down sides. Add oil, saute at 100 degrees for 2 minutes on speed 1.
- Add meat and chop for 10 seconds on speed 5. Saute for 3 minutes at 100 degrees.
- Add tomatoes and oregano and chop for 5 seconds on speed 4.
- Meanwhile, chargrill eggplant slices with extra olive oil.
- Place mixture in greased casserole dish and top with bechamel. Cover with chargrilled eggplant and top with grated cheese
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until golden on top.