I don’t know if I am just uber passionate about my food loves or that I can’t grow enough of anything to give a glut large enough to actually make me sick of certain foods. Or maybe a little of both.
I let the last batch of asparagus run wild rather than eat it with great difficulty. It’s done really well this year though and I hope my self control will mean an even greater feasting next spring. Silverbeet (swiss chard) however is still in ample supply. Which is fine by me. A long as I show enought restraint to let some of it go to seed all will be well. It’s years now since I bought aspargus crowns or swiss card seedlings. In fact, I’ve been too lay to save the silverbeet seeds some years and just it let it sow itself. Gorgeous vegetable.
After a busy day, I was all prepared for a meal that required minimal input from me. I knew a busy day was at hand so I had pre-soaked some brown rice. I found a recipe typed on a scrap of paper in my recipe folder, no idea where it came from originally and jiggled it around into a simple yet tasty and very hearty vegetarian feast.
photo by Rob Qld, some rights reserved
Cheesy Silverbeet, Mushrooms and Brown Rice
1 1/2 cups brown rice, preferably soaked all day or overnight
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
8 – 10 mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch silverbeet, finely cut
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups tasty cheese, grated
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup tasty cheese, grated, extra
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a baking dish or casserole dish
- Cook brown rice by your preferred method (30 minutes in the thermomix steamer basket for me)
- Heat oil and butter in a fry pan. Add garlic and mushrooms. When mushrooms start to soften, add silverbeet. When wilted, add cheeses, turn off heat and stir to combine.
- Place half the rice evenly across the bottom of the casserole dish. Layer silverbeet mixture on top of that. Make final layer with remaining rice.
- Top with extra cheese and sprinkle with cayenne.
- Place in oven until cheese on top is melted and starting to brown (about 20 minutes).