Bread and butter pudding is clearly one of those recipes that developed from a need to not waste stale bread. Well bread pudding and bread and butter pudding is a derivative of that. It’s pretty much my favourite winter dessert. One of my favourite things about the bread and butter pud concept though is tht it is so flexible.
That’s right, it’s fridge scraps for dinner tonight at Chez KP.
Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
ingredients change according to what scraps are lingering
5 slices of stale bread. quartered
4 rashers bacon, roughly chopped
1 tomato, halved and thickly sliced
small bunch of silver beet/chard, roughly chopped
100g feta, crumbled
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/3 cup grated tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Grease a baking dish roughly 30cm x 20cm
- Fry bacon until crisp
- Scatter bread around dish
- Intersperse bacon, tomato and silverbeet amongst bread
- Sprinkle feta over the top
- Whisk eggs, tasty cheese and milk together and pour over everything, making sure everything gets covered.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until custard is set.
Sorry? What was that? Did you ask me why I need to clean out my fridge? Oh, that would be because the Bread Winner and I are running away
for a dirty weekend to Sydney sans Ankle Biters. Excuse me now while I go and implode from anticipation and excitement.