I love it when the state of the garden dictates our meal choices. Today simply had to be about silver beet (swiss chard).
photo by MG Shelton, some rights reserved
I rather fancied quesadillas. Much as I love my usual masa harina tortilla recipe, I felt like something more malleable. I still wanted to retain the corn flavour but with a texture more like a wheat tortilla. Meat was out of the question. We really do eat vegetarian more often than not.
photo by Renata Avila, some rights reserved
The result was simple exactly what I had hoped for. A nice soft, pliable tortilla filled with greeny cheesy goodness. Just right.
Corn and Wheat Tortillas
85g masa harina
280 g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons rendered bacon fat (or butter)
160ml warm water
- Sift dry ingredients together (3 x turbo in thermomix)
- Add bacon fat and blend into dry ingredients (10 seconds on speed 4)
- Add water and combine (10 seconds on speed 7)
- Knead for 1 minute.
Rest dough for at least 10 minutes.
- Divide into 18. Press with tortilla press and cook in a hot pan on either sides until brown spots appear.
Silverbeet and Cheese Quesadillas.
1 bunch silverbeet, roughly chopped
1/2 bunch basil, torn
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 chilli, finely chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 cup grated cheddar
1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat oil in fry pan, add onion and saute for 1 minute. Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add silverbeet, basil and stock and saute, stirring until all the silverbeet has wilted. Remove from heat.
- Combine cheeses and toss through silverbeet until thoroughly combined.
- Layer tortillas and silverbeet mix in a baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.