I had a spectacularly long day at uni today, followed by picking up the kids from the various people I had begged favours from. So by the time we got home, it was much later than it should have been. I had dinner on the table precisely 20 minutes after I walked in the door. That’s my kind of mid week meal.
Chinese Chicken and Eggplant
300g basmati rice
4 chicken thighs
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon rice bran oil
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon chilli sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
optional – sliced fresh chillies to serve
- Place rice in steamer basket inside thermomix. Cover with water. Place varoma with tray on but lid off on top. Cook at varoma temperature on speed 4 for 16 minutes.
- While the water is heating, quickly dice chicken and eggplant. Throw onto varoma tray, evenly spread and place lid on top.
- When the rice is cooked, remove and place in thermal bowl with lid on. Empty remaining water from thermomix bowl. Put garlic in thermomix and chop for 10 seconds on speed 8. Scrape down sides.
- Add rice bran oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, white vinegar, sugar, chilli sauce and sesame oil. Mix on 6 for 5 seconds.
- Add chicken and eggplant to thermomix bowl. Cook at 100 degrees for 3 minutes on reverse speed 1.
- Serve over rice.